Print or download the January Program Theme Flyer.
WHAT IS A CIRCULAR ECONOMY?
A circular economy is an economic system aimed at eliminating waste and the continual use of resources. These economies employ reuse, sharing, repair, refurbishment, re-manufacturing and recycling to create a close-loop system, minimizing the use of resource inputs and the creation of waste, pollution and carbon emissions.
OUR LINEAR ECONOMY
Our current economy is linear, meaning that materials are utilized for a product and then its disposed. It follows the plan of taking materials, making products, and disposing waste. This leads to value being put into those that can produce and sell as many products as possible, which puts a strain on our environment. To ensure the future of our planet we must transition to a circular economy, which will lessen our dependence on disposables and reduce our need for resources.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Purchase items from thrift and consignment stores! You’re giving these products another life and not contributing to fast fashion.
- Instead of purchasing disposable products, choose reusables!
- Repair and mend your things before throwing them out! Learn how to sew and save your clothes from the trash.
WHAT COULD YOUR PROGRAM LOOK LIKE?
- Host a swap shop between your residents!
- Hold a life skills class and teach your residents how to sew and patch up their clothes!
- Partner with RHA on their upcoming Thrifty Swap!