Print or Download the February Program Theme flyer
IMPORTANCE OF DIY
Did you know that about one third of our total waste generated in the US is packaging waste? One way to cut down on that is to DIY! By making some of your own beauty and other products you can reduce the impact packaging has on our environment. Did you also know that fast food restaurants produce up 50% of street waste? This can be reduced by cooking at home and avoiding waste like Styrofoam to-go containers. You can also reduce waste in your DIY’s by utilizing recycled or secondhand materials!
OUR THROWAWAY ECONOMY
Our current economy is linear, meaning that materials are utilized for a product and then thrown away. It follows the plan of taking materials, making products, and disposing waste. This leads to value being put into those that can produce and sell as many products as possible, which puts a strain on our environment. By utilizing DIY, you can help reduce the stress for new products and the packing waste produced by them.
WHAT COULD MY PROGRAM LOOK LIKE?
- Host a relaxing DIY beauty event for your residents. Make face masks, lip scrubs, and other fun beauty products!
- Help your residents get a jump start on spring cleaning by teaching your residents how to make natural cleaners.
- Hold an event for your residents to make their own Valentine’s cards and gifts for their loved ones!
- Teach your residents how to make homemade granola to use for DIY trail mixes!
- Did you know that most toothpaste containers aren’t recyclable? Teach your residents how to make their own toothpaste while discussing steps towards waste reduction with everyday products!
SOME DIY IDEAS TO TRY!
- Make your own lip scrub with honey, sugar, and coconut oil!
- Some fun face masks to try with your residents
- DIY Cleaners (Just remember no DIY laundry detergent!)
- Granola Recipe for some DIY trail mix
- 77 uses for coconut oil
- A DIY Toothpaste!